When you adopt a pet, you save lives.
Requirements for Adopting
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Adopters that live in a rental property must show a lease agreement that includes pets and any size/breed restrictions.
- A meet and greet with current household dogs is generally recommended for most adult dogs.
- A valid ID showing adopters current address.
Our application is designed to help us match the best pet for your household. When you are ready to adopt from LCAS, your information will be in our system for your next visit. Adoption fees include spay or neuter of the animal, first set of vaccines including rabies vaccine, and microchip.
An adoption trial is a trial period in which you can take a pet home and see how he does in his new environment. LCAS offers a 7 day trial period which can be extended with approval.
Requirements for Adoption Trial
- Must be a resident of Galveston County.
- No puppies and kittens unless exempted by the shelter manager or designee.
- If adoptable animal is still intact, resident animal must be spayed or neutered.
Fosters provide a temporary home for pets in LCAS’s care while they are awaiting their forever home or the opportunity to move into one of our onsite or offsite adoption locations. Foster parents save hundreds of lives each year by opening their homes and hearts to help our shelter animals. We provide all supplies and any necessary medications.
Become a Foster Online Application
Scared of commitment? Fostering doesn’t have to be a long term commitment. You can foster for as short as an hour to just a weekend. See our Animal Shelter Programs for more information on our short term fostering programs.
Our long term foster parents helps our young, ill, injured, abused or under socialized animals. Long term fostering usually ranges anywhere from one to eight weeks. Fill out the Online Foster Application to get started.