Safety is on the minds of everyone as the Summer swings into gear.
City officials urge residents to keep safety in mind as they hit the city’s Hike and Bike trails.
Random assaults are a rare occurrence in League City; however, a few assaults throughout the last several weeks have occurred around the Rustic Oaks and Dr. Ned and Fay Dudney Clear Creek Nature Center trails.
Residents are reminded of the following safety tips:
• Safety in numbers. When you hit the trails, take a friend because there’s always strength in numbers.
• Be aware of surroundings! Cell phones, earphones and music devices impact your awareness and ability to observe what is happening in the surrounding area.
• Let people know you are aware they are there. Make eye contact and look people in the eye as you pass them.
• Do you have a gut feeling? Trust it. If something does not seem right, it probably isn’t and you should not hesitate in reporting it to the police.
• Carry a whistle or pepper spray in case you have to call for help.
Most importantly, if you see something, say something by reporting it to the League City Police Department.