The 2019 Atlantic Hurricane Season has officially kicked off and the City of League City's Office of Emergency Management is reminding you that now is the time to make a plan, prepare a kit, and get plugged in so that YOUR family is ready when disaster strikes.
Residents are encouraged to “Plan, Prepare, and Plug in,” to stay safe during for emergency weather situations.
Here are some important tips to follow :
Make an Emergency Plan
- Write down your hurricane plan and share it.
- Make a plan of how you will get in touch with others before, during, and after a storm.
- Take photos of important documents and store them in a secure place.
Know Your Evacuation Zone
- Learn your evacuation zone, route, and an alternate location to stay.
- Include pets when planning to evacuate.
- Practice your plan.
- You may have to evacuate quickly due to a hurricane. Learn your evacuation routes now by visiting www.ready.gov/evacuation and identify where you will stay beforehand.
- Search online today for local pet-friendly evacuation locations: https://youtu.be/9f98ixT-2I4#HurricanePrep
Check Your Insurance Coverage
Prepare a Kit
- Prepare an emergency kit that includes important items such as: ready-to-eat canned food, can opener and other utensils, one gallon of water per person, per day, first aid kit, battery powered radio, flashlight, extra batteries, toiletry supplies, cash and chargers.
Stay Plugged In
- Be sure to sign up for our SwiftReach Notification system. This system will allow us to send text message updates, phone calls, and emails regarding important issues such as evacuation orders, power outages, boil water notices, and other helpful information like ice locations and stores that are open.
- Follow our City Facebook and Twitter pages for timely and up to date information before, during, and after a storm.
- Consider buying a backup battery for your phone and laptop so that you can charge one while using the other.
For more tips and information, visit www.leaguecity.com/readylc
Links: View links to local and national organizations with helpful information.