The League Traffic Department, in collaboration with TxDOT,
has recently installed temporary traffic control devices at the intersections
of Highway 3 at FM 518 and Highway 3 at League City Parkway. These measures were
taken due to a high number of vehicle accidents, drivers traveling the wrong
way down left turn lanes, and numerous road rage incidents because drivers were
cutting down center turn lanes. Listed here are the locations where traffic
control measures have been installed along with proposed corrective actions the
City is considering. All permanent corrective actions must be approved by TxDOT.
SH 3 at FM 518
left turn traffic cones have been installed to keep drivers from traveling the
wrong way in the opposing left turn lane. Proposed, permanent corrective
· Extend northbound left turn lane to 300 feet, which would also eliminate the southbound left turn onto E. Galveston Street, not allowing cross traffic from E/W Galveston Street.
· Change E. Galveston Street westbound to right turn only.
· Chance W. Galveston Street eastbound to right turn only.
Southbound barricades have also been installed to keep drivers from crossing through the median. During peak travel times, drivers try to cross through the median when southbound has two of the three lanes backed. Drivers are not able to see the cars in the third lane, but cross anyways. Proposed, permanent corrective actions include:
· Change median cut through to a southbound left turn only, which would not allow cross traffic from League Street or 2nd Street.
· Change 2nd Street to right turn only.
· Change League Street to right turn only.
SH 3 at League City Parkway
have been installed down the center two-way turn lanes to deter drivers from
cutting down the two-way turn lanes and to encourage them to use the correct
left turn bay at the traffic signal. Proposed, permanent corrective actions include:
· Extend northbound left turn bay to obtain 300 feet of vehicle storage.
· Extend northbound left turn bay to have 200 feet of vehicle storage.
FM 518 at Houston Ave
permanent corrective actions include:
· Houston Avenue northbound changed to right turn only.
· Houston Avenue southbound changed to right turn only.