Golf Cart Ordinance
The laws surrounding “Golf Carts” and “Utility Vehicles” have been changed, and the City of League City has made adjustments to the League City Ordinance in response to the law changes by the State of Texas.
As of November 2020, League City Police Department will no longer be conducting or requiring Golf Cart Permits. The State of Texas has made an allowance for these vehicles to be registered, and the City is moving towards allowing golf cart operation with the golf cart license plate.
Vehicles (defined as "motorized cart") allowed on roadways:
- Golf carts
- Side-by-side vehicles
Vehicles NOT allowed on roadways:
- Dirt bikes
- Dune buggy
- A motorized cart may be operated only on a road with a speed limit of 35 mph or less
- A motorized cart may cross a road that has a higher speed only at an intersection
- Golf carts may be operated at golf courses, private clubs, or on private property, with the consent of the owner
- Motorized carts CANNOT be operated on any sidewalk, pedestrian walkway, jogging path, park trail, or any location normally used for pedestrian traffic
- A motorized cart must follow all traffic laws
- Every person riding in the cart must have a seat, no lap riding or standing on the side of the vehicle is allowed.
- Children must be seated in the motorized cart and use a safety belt if under 8 years old.
- A motorized cart driver MUST have a valid driver's license AND valid liability insurance covering the cart.
- A motorized cart operated on the road must have the safety equipment required by the Texas Transportation Code
- The motorized cart must have a license plate issued by the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Any person who operates or allows another person to operate a motorized cart in a manner that violates the Ordinance shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, fined not more than $500.
To read the entire city ordinance go to https://library.municode.com/tx/league_city/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=PTIICOOR_CH110TRVE_ARTXIMOCA
State Law can be reviewed at penal code statute.