On Saturday, April 4, the Galveston County Health District announced 86 new positive COVID-19 cases in Galveston County residents. This brings the county’s case total to 222. To date, 2,173 Galveston County residents have been tested. This number does not include Galveston County residents who may have been tested outside the county.
Please note, the additional 70 cases announced Friday, April 3 that are tied to The Resort at Texas City are included in the case count. The first 13 cases tied to The Resort at Texas City were announced Thursday April 2. One of those 83 cases is not counted in the health district total as that person is not a Galveston County resident. The health district also received pending results from the remaining tests performed Thursday and have no additional positive cases to announce related to The Resort at Texas City.
The GCHD recommends the following hygiene practices:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60 percent alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue and then throw the tissue in the trash. If tissues are not available, cough and sneeze in your elbow. Do not cough and sneeze in your hands.
- Frequently clean and disinfect objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
The GCHD also recommends the following social distancing practices:
- Avoid all gatherings of 10 or more people.
- Maintain at least 6 feet separation from others.
- Limit contact with people outside of your household. Avoid social visits.
- Limit visits and keep your distance from older relatives, especially those who are at a higher risk for developing serious COVID-19 illness.
- Avoid unnecessary travel.
For more information on COVID-19, visit www.gchd.org/coronavirus.
If you have questions about COVID-19, please call the GCHD information call center at 409.938.7221, option 1.