On Tuesday, April 7, the Galveston County Health District announced 16 new positive COVID-19 cases in Galveston County residents. This brings the county’s case total to 272. The GCHD also announced four additional COVID-19 related deaths This brings the total deaths in Galveston County to five.
- A female, age range 31-40, passed away April 6. She had a pre-existing medical condition.
- A male, age range 81-90, passed away April 6. He had pre-existing medical conditions.
- A female, age range 91-plus, passed away April 6. She had pre-existing medical conditions.
- A male, age range 61-70, passed away April 7. He had pre-existing medical conditions.
The GCHD recommends the following hygiene practices:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60 percent alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue and then throw the tissue in the trash. If tissues are not available, cough and sneeze in your elbow. Do not cough and sneeze in your hands.
- Frequently clean and disinfect objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
The GCHD recommends the following social distancing practices:
- Avoid all gatherings of 10 or more people.
- Maintain at least 6 feet separation from others.
- Limit contact with people outside of your household. Avoid social visits.
- Limit visits and keep your distance from older relatives, especially those who are at a higher risk for developing serious COVID-19 illness.
- Avoid unnecessary travel.
For more information on COVID-19, visit www.gchd.org/coronavirus.
If you have questions about COVID-19, please call the GCHD information call center at 409.938.7221, option 1.